5 things to note before applying for an internship
The first in a three part series, Bastion Effect intern Cara Gates shares her tips and advice for finding and landing your dream internship! Cara is currently in her fourth year of a double degree in Business (Marketing) and Arts (Communication and Media Studies) at Monash University and loves to see how brands are able to adapt within a constantly developing digital environment. Take it away, Cara!
Thanks team! Applying for anything in life can be daunting, however, an internship is your first taste of professional life, so here are a few tips to help you land your dream workplace.
- Set yourself apart, show your personality in your application – Agencies sort through hundreds of applications from interns, so what makes you different? If you have the option to submit a video then get creative, and leave the formalities for your resume and cover letter.
- Be honest with yourself about time commitments – Especially if you’re still studying. You won’t be able to give your internship or your studies the time they truly need if you don’t manage your time.
- Make sure you have a LinkedIn profile that is up to date – Ideally, by the time you are looking to apply for internships your LinkedIn account should be flourishing, you should have connected with colleagues and updated your previous job history and be engaging with relevant content. Having an updated LinkedIn is particularly important if you want to work in communications!
- Research the places you are considering applying for – Look at the clients they work with and the campaigns they have run – this will give you an idea of the tasks you might be working on if you intern and give you some great things to talk about during your interview. Showing you know the agency you want to work at will help you stand out from the pack.
- Finally, ask yourself: what am I looking to get out of this internship? This self-reflection will allow you to be honest with yourself about what you expect to gain from the experience as a whole, ultimately setting you up to make the most of the internship.
Cannes Lions download
Some highlights from Cannes Lions by our consumer comms specialists Rhiannon Kenyon and Chris Stenta,…
What I learned during my internship
The final in our three part series on interning, Bastion Effect intern Cara Gates shares…
5 things to know before you start your internship
The second in our three part series on interning, Bastion Effect intern Cara Gates shares…
WE ARE PART OF BASTION COLLECTIVE
Bastion Collective is the largest independent communications agency in Australia. We exist to be the Bastion of Australian Ingenuity. Our integrated agency network allows us to deliver simple, original and resourceful communications solutions to our clients' complex problems. Bastion Collective clients can use us for one specialist service or our entire integrated offering, delivered through one central point of contact. We do this all to help our clients create, grow, measure and protect their businesses.